The South Carolina Master Beekeeping program began in 1996 and is designed to provide interested students with the basic knowledge and skills needed to become successful beekeepers and to be able to share their enthusiasm and knowledge with the public. A successful beekeeper is one who can keep Read More ...
The Certified Beekeeper is the entry level of the Master Beekeeper Program. To complete this level, the beekeeper should be familiar with the basic skills and knowledge necessary to become a beekeeper. The prospective beekeeper will be required to have a minimum of one season experience before they can take the practical and exam.
Pass a written and practical test.
- Describe the parts of the beehive
- Light and properly use a smoker
- Recognize the various stages of brood
- Recognize the different castes of bees
- Find the queen or describe how to find the queen and what she looks like
- Differentiate between bee brood, pollen, capped honey, and uncapped honey
- Identify propolis and describe its function in the hive
Recommended Reading for Beginner Beekeepers