This is a two-day in-person class sponsored and conducted by Charleston Community Bee Gardens to be held at Dorchester County Career and Technology Center, 507 Schoolhouse Rd., Dorchester, SC 29437. The course will run from 9am-5pm each day and it will be taught by several local Certified and Journeyman beekeepers. No prior beekeeping experience is necessary.
The class topics will include:
• Basic equipment, selecting an apiary site, equipment supply sources
• All about the honeybee (bee biology, races of bees, bee history)
• Diseases and Pests (treatments, pesticides, IPM)
• Building hive equipment & lighting a smoker
• Working with Honeybees (starting a bee hive, installing a package/nuc, swarms and swarm control)
• Honeybee habits (things they collect, nectar & pollen sources, products of the honeybee, honey packaging and labeling)
• Field day at a local apiary with hands-on instruction (when weather permits)
The cost of the course will be $75 per student. The cost includes annual membership to a local beekeeping club.
A formal registration sheet is attached which can be mailed with a check or money order. You can also register and pay online: Community Bee Gardens The class size will be limited to the first 45 registered and paid students. If you are interested in attending, please let us know by e-mail as soon as possible at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Strohm, President
Tim Liptak, Director
Charleston Community Bee Gardens
Bobby Behr, Principal DCCTC