Honey Bee Research Grant
Purpose, Intent, Policy, and Procedure
The purpose of the Research Fund is to provide funding to individuals, organizations, and /or educational institutions involved in apicultural research which will benefit South Carolina Beekeepers through improved knowledge and techniques. Grants may be made to completely fund research projects or to supplement existing projects. It is the intent of the Board of Directors of the South Carolina Beekeeper Association to fund the grants of the chosen individuals and/or organizations that are committed to well-designed projects and financial accountability. Priority is to be given to members and club affiliates.
The Research Grant Committee is a sub-committee of the Grant Standing Committee as specified in the SCBA Bylaws. The grant committee chair is appointed by the SCBA President from the sitting members of the Board of Directors. The President shall nominate an additional member of the Board of Directors to act as a co-chair to lead the Research Grant Committee and is responsible for promoting the SCBA Research Grant initiative and collecting grant requests. The Board of Directors shall approve up to five (5) members-at-large in good standing to serve on the Research Grant Committee with attention given to balance the representation regionally. Grants awarded by the SCBA will be restricted to research-related projects. The committee will review grant requests and may seek input from external sources prior to finalizing the grant awards.
The Grant Committee Chair shall serve a three-year term. The Research Grant Committee Co-Chair shall serve a three-year term with staggered rotation to the Chair. Members-at-Large shall rotate off in a staggered fashion as their two-year terms expire.
of Research Grant Recipients
- Potential grantees must complete the Research Grant Application defining the purpose and scope of the proposed research to include expected benefits to the South Carolina beekeepers.
- Potential grantees must demonstrate an ability to design and implement a research plan that clearly describes the purpose of the proposal, how the research will be conducted, and how the results will be conducted, and how the results will be measured.
- Potential grantees will be required to submit a budget outlining how the funds will be used and to provide financial reports as required by the Research Grant Committee.
- Potential grantees will be required to provide quarterly progress reports to the Research Grant Committee.
- Upon completion of the research project, grantees will be required to present their findings to the South Carolina Beekeepers at a summer conference.
- Grantees must comply with all applicable local, state, and federal rules, regulations, and laws.
Grant Application Form
Grant application is a downloadable form with editable fields to be filled out and returned electronically to: Treasurer@scstatebeekeepers.com
Duties and Responsibilities
of the Research Grant Committee
- Receive funds allocated annually in the third quarter by the Board of Directors to be deposited into the designated research grant account based on funds received from sponsors and donors to be used for the following year’s research grant recipient(s).
- Develop guidelines for grant proposal applications.
- Receive written proposal applications for funding requests from potential researchers.
- Evaluate and recommend research proposal applications and funding requests for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Communicate the approval or denial of funding requests to applicants.
- Dispense allocated research funds at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- Provide the Board of Directors and the Association membership an annual report of research projects approved along with a financial report.
Annual Grant Process Timeline:
|Board allocates funding for the next calendar year
|Announce the availability of funds / Begin
|Applications Due / Evaluation Begins
|Research Grant Applicants Notified